How and Where to Lodge an Offical Lifeline Service Complaint?
You might be unhappy with your service provider or the cell phone that was given to you by the government for free. You might be wondering who you can complain to and where to file that official complaint.

We received many comments and several emails each day asking about these questions. This guide will help you understand how to complain about these services and who you should complain to. There is a wrong way as well as the right way to go about this process when you file a complaint. If you handle the complaint properly you will get the results that you want.

There can be many reasons why you file a complaint. Perhaps you haven't been able to reach a live customer service agent or a phone that you have received has stopped working shortly after you received it. These are a couple of examples of why you might want to call in regard to your Lifeline Assistance free government cell phone. it doesn't matter what problem you have you still have the right to complain as long as you are polite with this. you can also complain about organizations that might influence or have authority over Lifeline assistance companies and their related services.

How You Should Complain

We have taken a look at the websites a public utility Commissions in all of the 50 states. We communicated with all of these states. Texas provides the best example and the simplest explanation of how you can make a complaint about free government cell phone service or any of your other utilities. Here is what the Texas website says about this:

"Before you file a complaint PUC or Public Utility Commission you should contact your telephone or electrical provider first so they can take the time to investigate your individual complaint. If you don't get a result or resolution that is satisfactory with your provider, then you can contact and file a complaint with the Customer Protection Division of the Public Utility Commission."

There is some good advice that you'll get through the Maryland Public Service Commission website as well this is appropriate for residents in any state"

"it's important that you explain the dispute you have in great detail. You should describe efforts that you have made to resolve the issue with the company. You should also note why you have a disagreement with the company and their final determinations. You should discuss how you want the matter resolved. Make sure you attach the relevant supporting documents such as letters, bills, canceled checks, leases, and other documents."

The process will be variable state-to-state but the advice given above should be taken. You need to try to resolve the individual issue with the service provider before filing he complained. The regulatory agency needs as much information as possible and you need to prove that you have made a significant attempt to have any issues resolved.

You will not get any resolution if you have not done this. you should speak to the customer service team of the free government cell phone an attempt to resolve your issue before you begin to file complaints with the organizations that are listed in this document.

You should ask to speak two supervisors. You should tell them that if the problem is not solved by the supervisor then you want to speak to the person that oversees that supervisor. you should keep doing this until you have no more options. If you run out of options then you can file a more formal complaint against that service provider.

You should also be very polite when you do this but firm. You don't want to use foul language or raise your voice even though you might be frustrated as this is not going to get you anywhere and the person on the other end will probably hang up.

Who You Need to Complain To

There are four main organizations that might be able to help you resolve your problems.

The two main ones are the USAC or Universal service administrative company or the FCC which is the Federal Communications Commission. Both of these are federal organizations that you can contact. the other two are your State's Public Utility Commission which is a local regulator and the local branch of yore Better Business Bureau doesn't have any regulatory power whatsoever but rely more on public opinion. You need to contact these organizations or you're not going to get the help that you want.

Federal Communications Commission

Consumer Complaint Center
445 12th Street SW
Washington, DC 20554
Phone: 888-225-5322 or 888-835-5322

Universal Service Administration Company

Attn: Complaints
700 12th Street, NW, Suite 900
Washington, DC 20005
Phone: 888-641-8722
Email: [email protected] (Write "complaint" in the subject line)
Better Business Bureau

The BBB focuses I'm building trust between consumers and companies and it's a nonprofit organization. In the United States and Canada, you will find 112 local offices in most towns and large cities. This organization provides reviews by customers for more than 4 million businesses. It works to resolve disputes between those businesses and consumers

The website describes the BBB as follows;

"It acts as an intermediary between businesses and customers.  in 2013, it handled over 885,000 consumer disputes that were levied against businesses. Around 78% of these disputes were settled by the organization

In North America, there are over 400,000 local businesses which support the Better Business Bureau. The BBB will Prospect successfully evaded businesses and he's become dues-paying accredited businesses. They then pledge to work with the code of business practices set out by the Better Business Bureau. This organization will then allow these accredited businesses to have a good standing and used the trademarked logo of the BBB in marketing efforts.

It's important to understand that the Better Business Bureau does not have any affiliation with a government agency. Businesses that have an affiliation with the Better Business Bureau and are able to adhere to the standards do this through self-regulation of the industry. the BBB avoids bias by not endorsing or recommending any service, product, or any specific business that they work with."

In almost every town and city n America, there is a local branch of the BBB. It's much easier to get a website in a phone number to find local Better Business bureaus then a national contact number. The numbers  below will help you contact your local Better Business Bureau

Website – File A Complaint:
Website – Find your local BBB:
Phone: 703-276-0100
There are various complaints that the BBB or Better Business Bureau handles. The website indicates that disputes are from issues that a customer has come in contact with when dealing with businesses products or services. the Better Business Bureau will reject complaints that use foul language or any abusive Behavior. A complaint about poor Lifeline service and products or around the middle of the strike zone for the Better Business Bureau.

State Utility Commissions


Regulatory Commission of Alaska
701 West Eighth Avenue
Suite 300   
Anchorage, Alaska 99501-3469
Phone: 907-276-6222  or 800-390-2782 (outside Anchorage, within Alaska)


Alabama Public Service Commission
Consumer Services Complaints
PO Box 304260
Montgomery, AL 36130
Phone: 800-392-8050


Arizona Corporation Commission
1200 W. Washington
Phoenix, Az 85007-2996
Phone: Within Metro Phoenix 602-542-4251
Within Metro Tucson 520-628-6550


Arkansas Public Service Commission
P.O. Box 400
Little Rock, Arkansas 72203-0400
Phone: Complaints 501-682-1718 or 800-482-1164 (toll-free within Arkansas)


California Public Utilities Commission
505 Van Ness Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94102
Phone: 415-703-2782 or 800-848-5580 (toll-free)


Colorado Public Utilities Commission
Consumer Assistance Unit
1560 Broadway
Suite 250
Denver, CO 80202
Phone: 303-894-2070 or 800-456-0858 (if calling outside the Denver area but within Colorado)
Email: [email protected]


Connecticut Department of Public Utility Control
Ten Franklin Square
New Britain, CT 06051
Phone: 860-827-1553 or 800-382-4586 (toll-free in Connecticut)
Email: [email protected]


Delaware Public Service Commission
Public Advocate
29 South State Street
Dover, DE 19904
Phone: 302-241-2555 or 888.607.2427 (toll-free in Delaware)
Email: [email protected]


Public Service Commission of the District of Columbia
1325 G Street N.W.
Suite 800
Washington, D.C. 20005
Phone: 202-626-5100
Email: [email protected]


Florida Public Service Commission
2540 Shumard Oak Blvd.
Tallahassee, FL 32399-0850
Phone: 850-413-6100 or 800-342-3552 (toll-free)


Georgia Public Service Commission
244 Washington Street, SW
Atlanta GA, 30334-9052
Phone: 404-656-4501 (Metro Atlanta) or 800-282-5813 (outside metro Atlanta)
Email: [email protected]


Hawaii Public Utilities Commission
465 South King Street, #103
Honolulu, Hawaii 96813
Phone: 808-586-2020
Email: [email protected]


Idaho Public Utilities Commission
472 W. Washington
Boise, ID 83702
Phone: 208.334.0300


Illinois Commerce Commission
527 East Capitol Ave
Springfield, IL. 62701
Phone: 800-524-0795 (toll-free in Illinois) or 217-782-2024 (outside Illinois)


Indiana Utility Regulatory Commission
PNC Center
101 W. Washington Street, Suite 1500E
Indianapolis, IN 46204
Phone: 800-851-4268 or 317-232-2712
Email: [email protected]


Iowa Utilities Board
1375 E. Court Avenue, Room 69
Des Moines, Iowa 50319-0069
Phone: 877.565.4450 (toll-free) or 515.725.7321 (Des Moines local)


Kansas Corporation Commission
Public Affairs & Consumer Protection
1500 SW Arrowhead Rd.
Topeka, KS 66604-4027
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 800-662-0027 (toll free) or 785-271-3140


Kentucky Public Service Commission
Consumer Services Division
P.O. Box 615
211 Sower Boulevard
Frankfort, Kentucky 406020615
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 800-772-4636


Louisiana Public Service Commission
602 North 5th Street
12th Floor
Baton Rouge, LA  70802
Phone: 224-342-4999 or 800-256-2397 (toll-free)


Maine Public Utilities Commission
101 Second St.
Hallowell, ME 04347
Phone: 800-452-4699
Email form:


Maryland Public Service Commission
Office of External Relations
6 St. Paul Street, 15th Floor
Baltimore, MD 21202
Phone: 410-767-8028 or 800-492-0474 (toll-free)
Email form:


Department of Telecommunications and Cable
Consumer Division
1000 Washington Street, Suite 820
Boston, MA 02118-6500
One South Station
Boston, MA 02110
Phone: 617-305-3531 or 1-800-392-6066 (toll free)
Email: [email protected]


Michigan Public Service Commission
Customer Service Division
PO Box 30221
Lansing, MI 48909
Phone: 800-292-9555


Minnesota Public Utilities Commission
121 7th Place E
Suite 350
Saint Paul, Minnesota 55101
Phone: 651-296-0406 or 800-657-3782 (toll-free)
Email: [email protected]


Mississippi Public Service Commission
Northern District:
Phone: 601-961-5450 or 800-356-6428 (toll-free)
Email: [email protected]
Central District:
Phone: 601-961-5430 or 800-356-6430 (toll-free)
Email: [email protected]
Southern District:
Phone: 601-961-5440 or 800-356-6429 (toll-free)
Email: [email protected]


Missouri Public Service Commission
200 Madison Street, PO Box 360
Jefferson City, MO 65102-0360
Phone: 573-751-3234 or 800-392-4211 (toll-free)
Consumer Hotline: 800.392.4211


Montana Public Service Commission
Attn: Consumer Assistance
PO Box 202601
Helena, Montana 59620-2601
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 406-444-6150 or 800-646-6150 (toll-free)


Nebraska Public Service Commission
1200 N Street
Suite 300
Lincoln, NE 68508
Phone: 402-471-3101 or 800-526-0017 (toll-free in Nebraska only)


Nevada Public Utilities Commission
1150 E. William Street
Carson City, NV 89701-3109
Phone: 775-684-6101
Email: [email protected]


New Hampshire Public Utilities Commission
Consumer Affairs Division
21 South Fruit Street, Suite 10
Concord NH 03301-2429
Phone: 603-271-2431 or 800-852-3793 (within NH only)
Email: [email protected]


New Jersey Board of Public Utilities
Division of Customer Assistance
44 South Clinton Ave, 9th Floor
PO Box 350
Trenton, NJ 08625-0350
Phone: 800-624-0241


New Mexico Public Regulation Commission
PERA Building
P.O. Box 1269
Santa Fe, NM 87504
Phone: 888-427-5772


New York State Public Service Commission
Office of Consumer Services
NYS Department of Public Service
3 Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12223
Phone: 800-342-3377


North Carolina Utilities Commission
4325 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC  27699-4300
Phone: 919-733-9277 or 866-380-9816 (toll-free)
Email: [email protected]


North Dakota Public Service Commission
600 E. Boulevard, Dept. 408
Bismarck, ND 58505-0480
Phone: 701-328-2400 or 877-245-6685 (Toll-Free)
Email: [email protected]


Ohio Public Utility Commission
180 East Broad Street
Columbus, Ohio 43215
Phone: 614-466-3292 (in Columbus area) or 800-686-7826 (toll-free)


Oklahoma Corporation Commission
2101 North Lincoln Blvd
Oklahoma City, OK 73105
Phone: 405-521-2331 or 800-522-8154 (Toll-Free outside OKC metro)


Oregon Public Utility Commission
201 High St SE, Suite 100
Salem, Oregon 97301-3398
Phone: 503-378-6600 or 800-522-2404 (toll-free within Oregon)
Email: [email protected]


Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission
Bureau of Consumer Services
P.O. Box 3265
Harrisburg, PA 17105-3265
Phone: 800-692-7380


Rhode Island Division of Public Utilities and Carriers and the Public Utilities Commission
89 Jefferson Boulevard
Warwick, RI 02888
Phone: 401-941-4500
Email: [email protected]


South Carolina Public Service Commission
Office of Regulatory Staff
Consumer Services Division
1401 Main Street, Suite 900
Columbia, SC 29201
Phone: 803-737-5230 or 800-922-1531 (toll-free)


South Dakota Public Utility Commission
Capitol Building, 1st Floor
500 East Capitol Avenue
Pierre, SD 57501-5070
Phone: 605-773-3201


Tennessee Regulatory Authority
Consumer Services Division
502 Deaderick Street
Nashville, TN 37243
Phone: 615-770-6897 or 800-342-8359
Email: [email protected]


Texas Public Utility Commission
PUC Customer Protection
P.O. Box 13326
Austin, TX 78711-3326
Phone: 888-782-8477
E-mail: [email protected]


Utah Public Service Commission
P.O. Box 146751
Salt Lake City, UT 84114-6751
Phone: 801-530-7622 or 800-874-0904 (toll-free)


Vermont Department of Public Service
Vermont Public Service Board
112 State Street
Montpelier, VT 05620-2701
Phone: 802-828-2358


Virginia State Corporation Commission
Division of Public Utility Regulation
State Corporation Commission
P.O. Box 1197
Richmond, VA 23218
Phone: 804-371-9611


There are two states that don't help consumers with any issues or problems they have Lifeline Assistance company. The UTC states that it can help with the application of Lifeline credit for landline service or deal with enrollment issues. If you have any Wireless Lifeline complaints these need to be taken up with the universal service Administration company. This is the federal administrator of the program.


West Virginia Public Service Commission
c/o Customer Assistance
201 Brooks Street
PO Box 812
Charleston, WV 25323
Phone: 800-642-8544

West Virginia actually has very helpful, detailed information on filing complaints, but it's buriedand difficult to find on the states incredibly cluttered website.


Wisconsin Public Service Commission
Universal Service Program Complaints
P.O. Box 7854
Madison, WI 53707-7854
Phone: 608-266-2001 or 800-225-7729 (Toll-free)


Wyoming is another state that doesn't have a process for handling complaints from Lifeline to Consumers. A Wyoming Public Service Commission representative indicated that they do not regulate call service so complaints about poor service should go to the Federal Communications Commission.

The Wyoming Public Service Commission also clarified that wild the Wyoming PSC doesn't have any general jurisdiction over Wireless carriers they do have jurisdiction the wireless Lifeline providers in certification and the designation of eligible telecommunication carriers. If a customer has to file a complaint and this is received by the WPSC about a carrier or has a concern about a carrier to continue as an ETC then the WPSC is going to take any action that they deem to be appropriate.