How to get free government food?

As food costs continue to rise, more and more families find that they need government assistance to provide food. Although the food stamp program is the most common with poor families, there are many other programs. Most are managed through the US Department of Agriculture (USDA), and individuals and families are eligible for these benefits, depending on the circumstances.

Although there is no guarantee, it is best to call anyone on a different project and talk to them before excluding a project.

Step 1

Apply for food stamps. Now known as SNAP, the US Department of Agriculture handles food for 35 million people. Please contact your local Snapshot Office (online or in the “Government” section of your local phone book) to complete your application and/or see if you are eligible to participate in the program. Each month's benefits are paid through a card (similar to a debit or credit card) and can be run on any machine in the grocery store that accepts the program.

Step 2

Contact the US Department of Agriculture to inquire about the eligibility of the Child and Adult Health Food Program (CACFP). The purpose of the program is to compensate for meals in some day care, low-income families and adult day-care centres; in addition, it provides meals for children in shelters and provides some meals for children in after-school programs.

Step 3

Verify eligibility requirements with the WIC program. The Women, Infants, and Children program provides federal funding to states to provide food, health, and nutrition education to pregnant and/or lactating women, or non-lacking new mothers, and babies and children at risk of malnutrition. . The program covers children under 5 years of age.

Step 4

Verify that you qualify for the National Service Incentive Program (formerly the Elderly Nutrition Program, or NCE). The program is administered by the US Department of Health and Human Services (U.S. Department of Health and Human Service) and provides nutritious meals for older people who may not otherwise be able to eat well. The program is open to people aged 60 or older who are eligible to become spouses who are still under 60 years of age.

Step 5

Check out the Children's Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) through the US Department of Agriculture. As the largest federal resource available, it funds local organizations that work on diet and summer activity programs for at-risk children, usually those eligible for the school lunch program.