Find assist from the government: tips you want to know

Usually the government takes our money. However, in some cases it will issue cash. There are some ways to get free funding from the government.

Things to remember

When looking for free funding from the government (or anywhere, really), it's important to remember something.

First of all, Google search for "free currency" will almost certainly bring you some scam results. You need to make sure that any websites you visit (especially if you provide them with your personal information) are trusted entities. This means searching for .org, .gov, and similar URLs. You should also make sure that the project is indeed government funded.

If a website offers you free money, make sure it explains how you will get the money. What is the application process? What are the eligibility requirements? Is the website transparent in explaining the process and the content provided?

Also, make sure it doesn't require you any form of prepayment or fees to apply for free funds. No legitimate government program will ask you to provide funding to get help.

Free currency comes in various forms. Pay attention to your looks and the people you trust - if this sounds too good, it can't be true.

1. Get free or reduced health care for your child

If you are experiencing difficulties in paying for your child's medical expenses and meeting low income requirements, you may be eligible for free or reduced coverage through

Here you can find out more about services such as the Chip (Child Health Insurance Plan) and the local Medicaid program. You can also find a healthcare provider in your area – even a dentist! - Apply for specific projects in your state.

2. Get help with utilities

On average, Americans spend more than $300 a month on basic utilities. It's easy to see how these bills are difficult to manage in some cases, especially in summer or winter. The government's Liheap (low-income household energy assistance program) provides funding to those in need across the country.

These grants can be used to help residents pay for heating and cooling. They are managed through national projects (funded by the US Department of Health and Human Services). To search for available programs and help in your state, visit the liheap website.

3. Let your home winter

Do you need to help you update and improve your home and make it winter? You can get government grants through the US Department of Energy.

The Meteorological Assistance Program Technical Assistance Center (waptac) can provide you with a country-specific family improvement grant program to reduce energy costs. If you have children, family members have a disability, or are over 60 years old, you will receive priority approval. In fact, the US Department of Energy estimates that as many as 20-30 million households are eligible for climate change grants.

4. Low cost or free phone service

If you qualify for income, you can take advantage of the lifeline program. This is a free and low-cost mobile phone grant from the Federal Communications Commission. This enables people to use their phones and services to meet security, happiness and work-related needs.

5. Avoid foreclosure

Since the real estate crisis in 2008, we seem to know some people who are affected by foreclosure. If you have the risk of foreclosure, there is a program that can help you.

This project is called "Hope" (operated by the Building Ownership Conservation Foundation) and helps you develop plans to keep you at home. If you are a victim of mortgage fraud, or if you are interested in mortgage modifications, they will also provide advice.

You can call their hotline at 885-95-HORE or visit 95Hop.ORG for more information and see how this foundation can help you for free.

6. Free tax return

The tax filing time is coming, but some of us may need some help to prepare our taxes. Unfortunately, tax experts can be very expensive.

If you meet low income requirements, you can get free tax preparation assistance through the IRS VITA (Voluntary Income Tax Assistance) program.

Assistance is usually limited to people with annual incomes below $54,000, people with disabilities or people with limited English proficiency. However, this project is free and available to everyone, so there is no harm in applying for help.

If you are 60 or older, you can also take advantage of the TCE (Elderly Tax Advisory) program, another IRS initiative. This program provides free assistance to people close to retirement who have questions about pensions, retirement, income, and taxes.

For more information and to apply for help, please visit the IRS website.

7. Replace damaged currency

If your dog ruined your wallet, or if your child took a pair of scissors to go to the bank to withdraw money, you are not necessarily lucky. Don't throw those shredded papers into the trash!